Merge branch ‘map’ (read more)

After refactoring the map system, this new build uses the preprocessor macros to define the sizes of each region object. These macros, which are defined in region.hpp, were being used anyway; these modifications simply speed up the process by cutting out a lot of the fat.

You can find the merge here, and the master branch here.

There are no visible changes, but I’ve updated the build anyway in case someone finds a bug. Enjoy!!

The katawa shoujo soundtrack still makes me wistful.

*longing sigh*

The contest seems fairly standard, but there is a catch that might bother some game creators, as Garriott is asking all participating developers to cede their rights to their work to him, going so far as to require them to add “© 1977-2014 Richard Garriott” to their submissions.

Dick move, dude.

Fuck yeah.

What’s so hard about double checking if a store is open on Easter Friday? My mother says she listens, but she still insists that the stores a closed. There’s nothing wrong with checking. I just hope my mother actually does call tomorrow while I’m at work. 

I looked at the map of Sydney, and OH MY GOD. I’ve only ever been in Sydney half a dozen times, and never on my own. Plus, the trains will probably be running differently.

All this for a pokemon.

I need to have two builds available for my game: the stable release build, and the most recent nightly build. Also, I could add in linux builds, since I’ve got a live USB floating around somewhere. I’ll tag this as a TODO. Problem is, I’ve actually got a lot of TODO comments scattered throughout my code, I probably need to write a utility just to find them all.

I removed the entity system by picking the diff apart for the server’s source file. Here’s the repo, but there’s no visible difference from the stable build.

Anyway, I have work tomorrow, so I guess I need to go to bed :(

I really don’t know what to do next for my game. Should I… should I keep the entity structure? It’d would only need one revert to undo it, so…

The logic itself hasn’t changed, it’s just created a centralized table for all existing objects in the world (the entities), with each element referencing the extra data of that entity (by holding the uid & type of the object). This will theoretically allow the existing logic to handle more than just the player objects.

For some reason I’m having trouble figuring out if that was the right option. A few minor programming gripes is that now I have a few static integers tracking the uid of each object type. 

The next stage would be to adjust the networking and client code, to mesh better with the new system. normally I’d stick with my previous mantra of “make it work”, but doing that would mean reverting to the previous system and just stacking everything else on top. I need to implement this entity system to (hopefully) make things more logical.

Dayum.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!!!
If you thought Dark Souls was hard, try Fortune Summoners. The AI will kick your ass while the story makes your heart melt.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!!!

If you thought Dark Souls was hard, try Fortune Summoners. The AI will kick your ass while the story makes your heart melt.

I just stumbled across the Trillek project again, and I realized how fucking disorganized these guys are. Trillek is based on Notch’s aborted 0x10c, which means that they’ve poured their effort into the computer specs, without really thinking about anything else simply because that’s what Notch started on.

I offered my help as a producer early in the project, because it looked like there was nobody taking that position. Of course, that was during the initial influx of noobs after the media attention, so of course I was passed over. Here’s the advice of someone who doesn’t care:

  1. There’s a reason 0x10c was aborted.
  2. Although there’s a few well done open source games, they’re done mostly by a central team.
  3. Making an MMO is hard.