Well, not quite as spectacular as I was hoping. You need to set the tile and layer using the terminal at the bottom. left clicking changes the tiles, of course, using a script called “pencil”. I’ll write more scripts soon, but it’s already possible to write those yourself.
I’ve added the script files into the git repo, since it seems like you can’t use it now without them. You can run any lua code directly from that terminal, and you can hack the *.lua files that come with it.
So far, the current libraries available are:
Brush is a purely lua based structure, but it’s still needed, since it’s called from the C++ code. Each brush type has these functions: “mousemotion”, “mousebuttondown” and “mousebuttonup’, which are basically wrappers around the C++/SDL events. I tried adding keyboard events, but they were a little finicky.
There are no save scripts (yet), but you can write those yourself. That’s actually the inspiration for this whole thing: a simple tool that allows people to write their own save formats for use in their own games.
I don’t think anybody will use this, and I don’t think that I’d do it again if I knew what I was getting myself into. The best part of this (apart from learning lua) what that it doesn’t use my Codebase, which I think was holding me back in someways. The loop-in-main structure was only supposed to be temporary until I got the modules going, but it looks like it’s here to stay.
A few more tweaks until the final release, but I REALLY want to avoid feature creep. I’d like a depiction of the actual tileset, so that the user can pick the tile themselves, but I think to do that properly would require a big overhaul of the graphics systems. I’d also like to store the scripts, maps, etc. in a file structure, and make it easier to port to different platforms (since it directly references the WINDOWS folder to load the font).
Overall, I’m tired, and I want to move onto a game.
GitHub Page, and the brush file.